Monday, December 27, 2010

two eighths

You said, "I've slept a collective 9 hours in the past 3 days", and I heard you, but you didn't need to say it. Your eyes already said it for you.

You have the most tired eyes I've ever seen and I think they're the best. They're the best because you said you hadn't slept and your eyes told me you weren't lying. Your eyes told me you'd never lie to me.

My memory doesn't serve me well these days. I don't remember the things people say, even when I wish I'd hold on to their words forever. But I could never forget a thing your eyes said, even in a barely audible whisper. And if you wanted I could listen to them chatter for a million hours, if you wanted I could make their incessant chatter my background music; the tune that carries my feet down the street every day.

No comments: