Wednesday, May 5, 2010

tears/nothing good has ever come from 4 am

"All eyes on the calendar, another year I claim of total indifference. To here the days pile up with decisions to be made; I'm sure all of them were wrong. Into this song I send myself and with these drinks I plan to collapse and forget this wasted year, these wasted years. Well devoted friends, they disappear. And I'm sorry about the phone call and needing you. Some decisions you don't make. I guess it's just like breathing or not wanting to; there are somethings you can't fake. Yeah, there are some things you can't fake. Well I guess that it's typical to cling to memories you'll never get back again. And to sort through old photographs of a summer long ago or a friend that you used to know. And there below his frozen face well you wrote the name and that ancient date, that ancient date. And you can't believe that he's really gone, when all that's left is a fucking song. And I'm sorry about the phone call and waking you, I know that it is late. But thank you for talking, because I needed to. Some things just can't wait. Yeah, some things just can't wait."

It's strange how hard this song still hits me years later, and how it's relevance never ceases to exist.

1 comment:

melissastafford said...

so weird, seriously. I was JUST thinking about bright eyes and conor oberst in general. I realized, no matter what, there's always some kind of relevance. even if it means next to nothing, it always means something. I think it's mostly because the way he writes is so so so mysterious and vague. even songs like amy in the white coat, I can find a way to relate to it so much that it's enough to make me cry. as I get older, I just see more and more meaning behind every song that I used to think meant the whole world to me.

this is why that man is fucking genius.